Moskvich 402 - Soviet subcompact of the fifties
After the war, five years passed, the country's leadership declared a continuous and progressive increase in the well-being of the population, and what a prosperity without a personal car ...
The Stalin Politburo made a decision on thethe development of the production of lekowski - beautiful, modern, convenient and very high-quality, affordable, in exchange for the obsolete 400's of Muscovites copied from the Opel of the 30s.
The term for the development of technical documentation wasthe minimum is released. The country was working on depreciation, restoring the war-ravaged economy, so everything had to be done quickly. And for untimely execution ... Even to think it is terrible that it was waiting for those who were late.
By the summer of 1951 from the conveyor of the Moscowfactory of small cars rolled out Moskvich 402-425. The first three digits - the model number of the engine, the following meant a completely new index for our automotive body index - a sedan, the Ford Consul type, produced at the factory of the British branch of an American firm.
This time it was impossible for Soviet engineersreproach in direct copying - the machine turned out to be its own, domestic, it was simply performed using the experience accumulated by the world industry, though, taking into account the harsh realities of a very modest budget. So, the engine was left the same, with the lower valve arrangement. Then it did not matter, the USSR was in international isolation, no one thought about the export potential of the new car. The rear axle and gearbox also inherited from the 400 series.
Tests and debugging were conducted almost fouryear, in 1955 a new passenger car was decorated with VDNH, mass production started a year later. Stalin's idea of a national car found support from NS. Khrushchev.
Moskvich 402, the photo is confirmed, it looked likeAt that time it was quite serious, it sparkled with chrome overlays, was capacious (ahead of the driver and passenger, behind - three more), the glass bent and solid.Inside, too, everything was on the level - the stove,adjustable seats, blowing windows, radio, automatically turn-off indicators, in general, unprecedented for the Soviet car comfort. The doors were equipped with push-button locks, and the trunk and gas tank could be opened while sitting in the driver's seat.
The chassis was equipped with telescopichydraulic shock absorbers, drum brakes with floating pads. In general, Moskvich 402 corresponded to the then adopted standards for small cars. Power supply was made by twelve-volt, not 6V, as in previous models.
Specifications also pleased. The speed that Moskvich 402 could develop was 110 kilometers per hour, and it consumed only 9 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers. However, gasoline was cheap then, it cost less carbonated water.
This car was produced until 1958, before the appearance of the 407th model, outwardly almost the same, but with a top-hat engine.
In our time there are lovers, restoringMoskvich 402. Tuning, as a rule, requires a deep, sometimes except for the body have to change almost everything. However, there are also fans who find the opportunity to assemble such a car completely from authentic details.