What is an ear?
Watch the video
Ukha is a very popular dish in Russian cuisine. This is a nutritious dish that is not only easy and simple to prepare, but also quickly restores strength. That is why the ear is popular not only at a family dinner, but also in the campaign. In addition to nutritional characteristics, the ear has an interesting and rather ancient history and its own cooking characteristics. From this article, you will learn what is the ear, also consider its history, traditions of cooking, recipes of classical and modern soup.
Ukha is a Russian national dish. But the national fish dish of the ear was not immediately, but tentatively in the XVII-XVIII centuries. Until that time, there were various references to it. There are suggestions that soup was called any dish in the form of soup as early as the 11th-12th centuries. For this reason, the term "ear" required additional definition. Ear earlier could be pea, swan, chicken and fish.
According to the Soviet culinary specialist and historian William Vasilyevich Pokhlebkin, it’s wrong to consider fish soup as fish soup.Indeed, the technology of cooking classic soup does not allow to call it a soup, rather a liquid hot dish.
Traditions in cooking soup
Since the ear is an ancient dish, in the course of its preparation its traditions appeared over time.
The classic ear is a astringent decoction of transparent color fish. Its traditional composition contains either finely chopped onions, or coarsely chopped potatoes, broth and the fish itself.
The classical ear has several varieties:
- White ear. The following varieties of fish are suitable for its preparation: pike perch, whitefish, ruff, perch;
- Black ear. Used varieties of fish in the preparation of this type of fish soup: asp, carp, rudd, carp;
- Red (or amber) ear. The name comes from the use of red fish in the recipe, for example, sturgeon, salmon, beluga, and nelma. If you add saffron in the ear of red fish, then it can be called amber due to its acquired shade;
- Triple ear. It consists, as you understand, of three different varieties of fish.
There are several opinions on how many species of fish should be used in the preparation of this dish.Initially, the idea of a recipe with one type of fish was popular. And only then, at a later time, the opinion began to spread that the ear should boil from several species.
When cooking classic soup, the selection of dishes is also very important. The ear should be cooked only in non-oxidized dishes, for example, in clay or enameled. Cast iron and aluminum pots should be excluded.
Recipe for classic soup
Wuhu can be served and hot and cold. A classic fish soup is eaten with a fish pie, pies with rice, onions and eggs, or with plain black bread. In order to cook the right ear, you do not have to spend a lot of time and effort.
You will need:
- 1 kg of perch;
- 2 large onions;
- 1 large carrot;
- 4 medium sized potatoes;
- 2.5 liters of water;
- Bay leaf;
- Onions and carrots, without cutting, send in water and put on fire.
- Cut the potatoes into large slices and add to the onions and carrots, salt.
- When the water boils, put the cleaned and washed fish and bay leaf into the vegetable broth.
- Add pepper and salt.
- After 20 minutes, turn off the ear and let it brew under the lid for 10 minutes.
Remember, a real traditional ear is cooked without a cap.
Modern recipes soup great variety. We will consider the dietary and tasty soup, which can be quickly prepared and which even children will like.
You will need:
- 0.5 kg fresh trout;
- 1 kilogram of potatoes;
- 1 medium carrot;
- 1 medium onion;
- Spice for fish;
- Bay leaf;
- Rinse the onions, carrots, potatoes and trout and dice.
- Add onions to boiling water.
- After 5 minutes, send carrots to the onions.
- After another 5 minutes, send the potatoes.
- 7 minutes after adding potatoes, add trout, dill, fish spices and bay leaf.
- Since the fish is boiled quickly, especially finely chopped, turn off the heat after 7 minutes.
- In the resulting ear squeeze garlic juice (to taste).
- Let your ear stand for about 10 minutes under the hood.
- When serving, add a little butter - it will give the soup a more delicate flavor.
This recipe is suitable white fluffy bread.
Keep in mind that modern ear is a reason to experiment! If for some reason you can’t add red fish to the soup or simply don’t like it, add cod. Do not like cod - add pike.Remember that each fish has a special taste, as well as its cooking time. In addition to fish, you can change the composition. Not only potatoes, but also millet porridge and pearl barley are suitable for the ear. There is a recipe where fish soup is made from dried fish and mushrooms are added to it.